Client: North East Catchment Management Authority
Location: Lake William Hovell to Whitfield, North East Victoria
Key Services Provided:
- Assessment of geomorphic and vegetation condition
- Community consultation
- Strategic waterway planning and management
Water Technology is currently developing a Waterway Action Plan for the Upper King River. Major flooding occurred in the catchment in 1998, following which an extensive program of river management works was undertaken. The cessation of tobacco farming and growing popularity of the region for winemaking and viticulture has led to more recent changes in land use in the valley and an opportune time to develop a strategic plan.
This Waterway Action Plan will address the following key factors:
- Management of riparian vegetation, in particular willow species, which impact on the ecology of the riparian zone and geomorphology of the river
- Investigation of the impact of the extensive 2006/07 fires on instream habitat, riparian vegetation and water quality
- Recommendations for the management of areas that are likely to be, or have been in the past, threatened by the development of avulsions or scour of the floodplain
- Further investigation of concerns raised regarding water quality by the community.
A Community Reference Group has been formed to assist in engaging the broader community in the project area, and activities have been programmed for each of the six key stages of the project.
Sally Day (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Phone 03 5721 2650 or 0437 241 216
PO Box 792, Wangaratta VIC 3676